How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 37344
Experience:  Attorney with 16 years experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I filed and my husband is in Mexico he was deported

Customer Question

I filed for divorce and my husband is in Mexico he was deported 2 1/2 years ago.I filed received my papers and he did his but the courts never got documentation he did so court can't proceed til they I'm stuck what can I do.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
Your recourse here if husband didn't respond and you can't locate him would be to file a motion with the court for "service by publication". This would allow you to place an ad in a local paper, usually once a week for 3-4 weeks, and then he would be legally considered to have been served and the divorce petition could proceed and you would receive a default judgment for divorce.