How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33531
Experience:  30 plus years of experience.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My grandson does not want to spend overnights at his mothers

Customer Question

My grandson does not want to spend overnights at his mothers house. He is happy with seeing her in the day time, but is closer to my son. He says no physical abuse is going on, but does tell us she yells at him for no reason, or for accidents. He also
dislikes having to sleep in her room with her and his step father. He is autistic and fears sleeping alone in the living room by himself. He is also concerned because she occasionally feeds him foods he is not supposed to have (corn and dairy) as he is allergic.
He is 12 years old, and otherwise, a happy, bright, well behaved child. We have talked to her, but she shuts us out. What can we do to create a happier setting, either get her to understand the problem a little better or help him with his request to not go
there nights?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Loren replied 2 years ago.
Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to answering your question.

Is there a custody order in place? Who has primary custody?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Custody is 50/50.

Expert:  Loren replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information.

Without allegations of abuse or mistreatment itis unlikely that s court will take away the current custody plan. However, it may be possible to modify it somewhat.

Twelve is still a bit young to have much weight given to the child's preference with regard to custody, but your son can try. He would start with a petition to modify the custody agreement, perhaps, based upon her failure to provide accommodation to his food allergies.


Related Family Law Questions