How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33033
Experience:  30 plus years of experience.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

On may 8, 2015 me and my husband of 10+years filed a non contested

Customer Question

On may 8, 2015 me and my husband of 10+years filed a non contested divorse...he went to court today and called me to say the judge could not sign off on the final decree because we had signed the final decree the same day we filed on May 8, 2015. So m6 husband wants me to print a new copy and sign it blank plus I'm not suppose to date it and he would take it to a notary then take it back to court. I found out today that he has a retirement plan with his current employer and is 100% vested. My question is I don't feel comfortable with signing and giving it to him...what should I do? We live in harris county, texas. One more thing we agreed to certain things that each of us would take care of but none of the agreements were included in the divorse papers. Since I have been unemployed since 2011 he agreed to keep me on his insurance until the end of the year, he also agreed to pay for my car insurance until I found a job plus help me out financially with my monthly medications and Dr visits if I inured agreed not to contest the divorse, plus if I wouldn't cut the lights and cable off (both are in my name). He agreed he would pay all utilities balances that are in my name at his house in full plus all past utilities from our last residents together. So far he got his lights turned on in his his name or someone else's name and left the balance in my name unpaid. I was also told by state farm he cancel my car insurance. Do I have any rights as far as our divorce there a way to get what we verbally agreed to on paper?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Loren replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I will do whatever I can to answer your question.
It would appear that this divorce is not uncontested and unless you and your husband are in agreement as to the division of property, you should not sign off on anything. That would end your ability to negotiate.
Demand a written agreement dividing the marital assets. If he refuses then it is time to retain your own attorney.
Expert:  Loren replied 2 years ago.
Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

Related Family Law Questions