How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11768
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

The husband has suddenly left a woman in Albuquerque with a

Customer Question

The husband has suddenly left a woman in Albuquerque with a five-year-old child. I don't expect him to contribute to her support. How can she get child care so she can find work, and how can she get the necessities of living if the welfare people state that she's ineligible for help from them because she is married?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  originallawyer replied 2 years ago.
Oh no! This is an awful situation. If state assistance cannot help her, she can look for community organizations or churches that offer low cost or free child care. If there is no hope of reconciliation, she can begin the divorce proceedings to make her more eligible for assistance. There are other organizations that can provide subsidized food that do not require her to be divorced. Churches (all different denominations) often have lists of these organizations and you usually do not have to be religious at all to benefit from them, if that is a concern. The church is just usually well plugged into the community. If she can't get assistance through the state then I'd start there.