Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

The husband has suddenly left a woman in Albuquerque with a

Customer Question

The husband has suddenly left a woman in Albuquerque with a five-year-old child. I don't expect him to contribute to her support. How can she get child care so she can find work, and how can she get the necessities of living if the welfare people state that she's ineligible for help from them because she is married?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  originallawyer replied 2 years ago.
Oh no! This is an awful situation. If state assistance cannot help her, she can look for community organizations or churches that offer low cost or free child care. If there is no hope of reconciliation, she can begin the divorce proceedings to make her more eligible for assistance. There are other organizations that can provide subsidized food that do not require her to be divorced. Churches (all different denominations) often have lists of these organizations and you usually do not have to be religious at all to benefit from them, if that is a concern. The church is just usually well plugged into the community. If she can't get assistance through the state then I'd start there. http://www.needhelppayingbills.com/html/albuquerque_food_pantries.html