How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11764
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I just got a summons to appear in count over a doctor bill

Customer Question

I just got a summons to appear in count over a doctor bill that is over 2 years old. I am not saying I don't owe it I just have not been able to afford it. What do I do now. I have 1 month and I can not afford a lawyer.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  originallawyer replied 2 years ago.
Good afternoon: That would definitely be distressing! If the summons lists the entity or law firm that is bringing the suit, I would contact them and see if they can accept a payment plan or partial payment. Even if they don't, you should always show up at the court date. Ignoring the date will not make the issue go away. At the hearing, you may have an opportunity to outline your reasons for not being able to make payment. This is why you should attend. It is possible that the Judge may allow a payment plan. If you attend, and the Judge does not, the Judge will order a judgment against you for the amount of the debt. This judgment states that you owe a certain amount of money and allows the entity holding your debt to potentially place a lien on bank accounts, property, or other areas. If you won the lottery, for instance, they could seize part of your lottery winnings, etc.

Related Family Law Questions