How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 28366
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am in Oregon. My ex husband initiated a request

Customer Question

I am in Oregon. My ex husband initiated a request for a parenting plan modification. In the judgment (which ordered some of the things I wanted and some of the things my ex wanted), the judge said it was appropriate for my ex husband's attorney to submit
a statement of attorney fees for consideration. The judgment did not say I had to pay the fees, only that the judge would "consider" it. The attorney has submitted to the judge a lengthy statement, along with several exhibits detailing why he thinks I should
pay these fees. He sent me a copy, since I am pro se. Many of the attorney's statements in the exhibits are incorrect, such as saying I did not respond to his phone calls. These things were not brought up during the hearing. Can I submit some sort of a rebuttal
to the judge, and send a copy to my ex husband's attorney, saying why I think I should NOT have to pay the fees? I'm surprised that this wasn't fully addressed in the judgment. I thought our time to argue was over. I have my phone records and such to support
my contention that the attorney's statements are incorrect.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 2 years ago.
Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. Yes, you can certainly file a response/objection to the attorney fees requested. In the body of the motion, you want to address any claims which he makes, showing that they are inaccurate and can not be supported, along with any other statements or evidence, to show why you should not have to pay his fees. If you had done something wrong, to warrant the modification and forcing him to take action, I could see him asking for attorney fees. However, if he voluntarily did this, just to obtain more time with the kids, there may not be a basis to have you pay, which this was brought upon by his own actions and decision.
Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 2 years ago.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!