How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 102192
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Colorado where marijuana is legal, however my 5 year

Customer Question

I live in Colorado where marijuana is legal, however my 5 year old son's father smokes daily and I believe he is smoking before driving my son places. I am pretty sure he is smoking while my son is at is house (not in front of him). We have 50/50 custody. How do I prove this? Is there anything I can do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) the site allows experts not participate in phone calls and I may or may not be able to participate in this feature.
Just because state law now states that marijuana is legal does not mean that a parent can smoke in front of their child and/or while their child is in their care.
Compare this to alcohol. If the parent constantly drank while having custody of the child, would the Court continue to allow them to do so?
Someone in your situation may wish to threaten or file a suit to MODIFY custody and get custody for majority time, with him only visitation - perhaps no overnights and supervised - whatever the Court deems fit.
See here and see instructions.
The Court will modify custody if it feels that:
-there has been a significant change which warrants reconsideration, and
-it is for the best interest of the child.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.

Related Family Law Questions