How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We have guardianship of our granddaughter. My daughter has

Customer Question

We have guardianship of our granddaughter. My daughter has already signed the adoption paper. This was done about 4 years ago. The dad wasn't nothing to do with her. Refuses to pay child support and will not see her. We live in Missouri. Have no idea where the father is. Can we adopt her without having to get his permission?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 years ago.

Good afternoon Susan,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Yes, it is possible to complete the adoption without the approval of the father, however, you will have to in conjunction with the adoption proceeding sue the father for a termination of his parental rights based on abandonment.

Your attorney will do the due diligence to try and locate the father so as to serve him and if he cannot be located then service may be accomplished by publication in a local newspaper. Once the court terminates his parental rights, the adoption will then be granted.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,