FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
9540344

The house that my family has live in was purchased by my

Customer Question

The house that my family has live in was purchased by my husband a few months before marriage. Right after we were married we joined our money and started paying mortgage, property tax, insurance, etc out of our joint account. So I know I have a lein on
his separate property. My question is - We have made a lot of home improvements in the house, Do I need to figure out how much we paid for all of the home improvements or is this just part of the appreciation of the house value today? Or since we spent a lot
of money on home improvements, this will also be taken into consideration?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 2 years ago.
If you want to make a claim for a share of the equity, you do need to determine what was invested jointly, the cost and what the home is worth today, as a result. You can then argue that your contributions, financially, have increased the value of the home since you were married and as a result, you are entitled to X. You were paying towards the mortgage as well, since it was paid from a joint account also, so you need to try and get an idea of what it is worth now verse when you first moved in.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How does the down payment that my husband paid come into play? Also, we married right after the market crash in 2008, so the fair market value at the time of marriage was about 70K less than the fair market value at the time of purchase.
You would just need to determine the value of the upgrades and your contributions. It is not easy since there has been such a huge fluctuation in the market but if you know you contribute X all these years, you could go off of that and make a demand based upon what the home is worth now.