How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 29787
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds


Customer Question

I JUST GOT MARRIED TO MY PARTNER ON 7-4-15 AND WE WANT TO CHANGE OUR NAMES TO A DIFFERENT NEW LAST NAME COMBINING our two maiden names. how do we proceed? do we need to go to court or are there forms that can be filled out and a fee to the court?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Congratulations! I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.
When you don't put a new last name on the marriage certificate, then it's necessary to get a court order for a name change. The process is fairly straightforward, though.
You'll each file a Petition explaining the reason for the name change and certifying that you're not doing it for an improper purpose (like to avoid creditors or distance yourself from a criminal record). Name changes due to marriage should get rubber stamped by the judge.
You are required to post notice of the name change in the local paper to give interested parties the ability to object. If you're over the age of 21, you'll also have to get fingerprinted and do a criminal background check, and there's an additional fee for that.
Here are full instructions, along with all the forms:
It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Thank you.

Related Family Law Questions