How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 117361
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am the custodial parent in this case which the NCP owes beyond

Customer Question

I am the custodial parent in this case which the NCP owes beyond 2500 in arrears. However, within the last few days I've noticed on the online childsupport website it takes
Amount recovered from Recoupment: $2,247
I would like to know what exactly is a "recoupment" as well as knowing if this money was recoup for whom was it recouped? As I have yet to see a single dime. Can I fight this? Or is this just another loop hole for the system?
(I do not receive cash assistance from the state of any kind. I do however receive medicare as I have no insurance through my current employer.) Thanks in advance..
-Confused Parent
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Recoupment is the term used for recovery of a debt due. The money was supposed to go to the custodial parent and the child support enforcement division is supposed to be giving it to the custodial parent. If they are not doing so, you need to call them. If they refuse to give you money due, you need to do two things. First, you need to file a motion in court where you got the child support award as a motion to compel and serve child support enforcement to ask the court to order them to release the money and also in addition to filing suit, you need to notify the media. This is something we get frequently from customers who tell us that child support enforcement has collected payment and the custodial parent has not received the money and it is disgusting that they have the nerve to do this to children and it is out of plain negligence they do so.

Related Family Law Questions