FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
9540344

Do stepparents or a signicant other have a right to take over and not allow a grandparent

Customer Question

do stepparents or a signicant other have a right to take over and not allow a grandparent to even talk or see their grandchild? This is a child age 7 that we've raised from birth along with His mother who was impregnated by an 18 year old when she was barely 15 years old. The Dad left the scene shortly after child was born moved across the state hardly to be seen nor heard of again. 6 years later he comes and demand his child along with his new gal friend, by now after 6 years the childs mother had finished high scholl and was starting her 3rd year of college on a scholarship at oklahoma city university,oklahoma in which we were helping her and raising our grandson until she could finish school and get a job and be on her on and raise her Son.the dad filed for custody in washington saying that we had took the child without his permission out of state even tho he did not have custody the mother did.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 2 years ago.
Good morning. Has paternity been established yet? If so, has anything been court ordered or has the father just filed for custody and the matter is pending in the court?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes paternity has been established and Court is final.
Thank you for the additional information. Until the Judge rules on this, the mother, who has custody of the child, has the final say. The father and stepmother at this time, have no right to to say who the child can and can not see, since they have no legal authority over the child. Moreover, the burden would be on the father to show and effort to see the child and that the mother intentionally withheld and prevented that from happening and your daughter can show he left and relocated. Now, if the Judge does award him custody or visitation, he can prevent a grandparent from seeing the child during his time but can not prevent the mother from allowing it and exercising her rights to have the child form a bond with the grandparent.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!