How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11823
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I did not file, sign, nor appear in a Travis county court nor

Customer Question

I did not file, sign, nor appear in a Travis county court nor did my ex-spouse who presented me a divorce decree in 1980. We recently spoke and I told him that I did not file the divorce. His response, neither did I! We were adopting a child together. He had an affair....I ended up adopting as a single-parent. The women he had the affair with became pregnant and that was discovered after the divorce paper was handed to me. I need to know if fraud occurred? Can I have the marriage revoked and seek legally all benefits as his wife because he told me "I did not divorce you. I thought you divorced me. In which I replied, You had the affair, I did not divorce you, either. However, the document reads that I divorce him....Travis County, Texas....Can you help me/us?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) the site allows experts not participate in phone calls and I may or may not be able to participate in this feature.
I am sorry to hear about this situation.
1) To clarify, were you served a divorce back in 1980? Or not? And if you were, you never contacted your ex about it and simply ignored it? Or you were never served and knew nothing about it?
2) Do you happen to have a copy of the decree in digital format and if so, can you upload it here? If not, that is okay.
3) Do you have any idea who may have filed the divorce if you did not, and he did not?
This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.