How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34975
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I signed a divorce decree ex-wife while I live in

Customer Question

I signed a divorce decree for my ex-wife while I live in Georgia it was pretty restrictive but it allowed overnight visitation and the right to go out of state at the age of 5 he is 9 what are my chances despite this custody agreement to get a custody
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 2 years ago.
My name is***** have over 16 years experience in the law. Should you like to chat on the phone I am happy to for a nominal cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested I am happy to give you more details.
The good news is a custody order is ALWAYS subject to modification. The court will modify the order, IF you can show that the proposed change would be "in the best interest of the child"
What you are describing? After 4 years, it may well be that you can convince the court that more time with you and the child together would be good for the child.
SO this is certainly possible.
The best way, by far, to approach this is to have a local attorney prepare and present the case to the court for you. The adage "a man who represents himself has a fool for a client" is often true. If you act as your own lawyer, the court will expect you to know the law/rules/procedure/evidence just as if you were admitted to the bar. They (the court) will not cut you any slack. If the goal is to win the case, hire a lawyer.
Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.