Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I've was with this man years we have raised 2 grown

Customer Question
I've was with this man...
I've was with this man for 28 years we have raised 2 grown kids. One we share together and the other from his first marriage. In 2000 we purchased a house that he put only his name on it cause my credit was bad at the time. In 2001 an we opened a business in my name but he supplied the customers for the business. We opened another business under my name in 2008 as well. I did all the paper work, billing, payroll, and everything. this man has cheated on me more time than I can count. He was going to married another woman while still living in our house with me and the kids. In January of 2012 he decided to leave for another woman. When He left he said he would pay all the house hold bills until September 2016 because that when he would come out of bankrupt. He told me I would still be in control of the business as well. The business has ran into some tax trouble and back in January of this year he said he would take the business out of my name so that I can file bankrupt on my tax debt but I would still be doing the books for the new business and he would eventually return the business back too me. He took over the business on July 1, 2015 and he put the company in his and her name and he refused to give me back my company. This man has caused me so much stress that I'm at the end of my rope. I've made some stupid mistakes in the sack of love but is it fair for him to be able to take it all when I help him obtain everything as well.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Family Law
7/14/2015
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 3 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you have proof of these deals then you can sue him for the breach of the contract and for return of your business. However, if he took the business so you could file bankruptcy, you need to be careful because this could be bankruptcy fraud and if that is reported, you could be fined or prosecuted for trying to hide the business to qualify for bankruptcy.
This means you need to get the proof of this deal with him on the business to a local bankruptcy attorney to determine if it will pass the test to not be fraud and get you in trouble.
As far as his promise to pay your bills, if you have proof of such promises, CA is one of the few states that would allow you to sue him for alimony or support (called palimony) and he could be forced to pay you basically spousal support (even though you were not married) based on that promise to pay your bills.