How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalGems Your Own Question
LegalGems, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 10306
Experience:  Experienced Family Law Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LegalGems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My sister lives in Ohio, I live in Florida. Our parents are

Customer Question

My sister lives in Ohio, I live in Florida. Our parents are deceased and we have no other brothers or sisters. We have had a strained relationship, however she has no will and she is in a nursing home and ready to be declared incompetent. If that happens who will probate her estate. She doesn't have much, just personal property and a car. She did a reverse mortgage on her home so there is no property. I'm not sure what to do.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 2 years ago.
Good Day! I'll do my best to assist you. Please remember: I only provide general information and a local attorney should always be consulted.
If there is no will, the property will go via the laws of intestate succession (ie next of kin).
Without a will, a person needs to petition the court to be appointed personal representative. For insolvent estates (debts exceed assets, often common due to medical expenses) often times a family or friend will not seek appointment as a personal representative, because after expenses are paid, the family will often not inherit, and as such understandably don't want to deal with the time, expense and possible liability of being appointed a personal representative.
If that is the case, then a creditor can petition to act as personal representative; the creditor will typically do so in order to ensure payment of any valid debts.
General information on probate in OH: (the state where the decedent resides is the state with jurisdiction to probate)
For estates under $35,000, there is a small estate procedure which can be done and is authorized by this statute:
This pamphlet is good throughout the state and explains the procedure:
This allows an heir to collect any personal property without incurring the costs associated with official probate.
If you have further questions please be sure and respond before rating. If you have no further questions, Kindly rate positively so that the site is permitted to credit my account for assisting you- there is no additional charge for a positive rating and it is most appreciated.
Without a positive rating, I receive no compensation for assisting you this evening.
Thank you and take care!
Expert:  LegalGems replied 2 years ago.
Here is a link to help locate an attorney: and Of course, should you have other questions please do not hesitate to post here. If you found the information I provided useful, kindly rate positive as that is the only way the site is allowed to credit me so that I am compensated for the time I spent- which does not result in additional charges to the customer. Thank you for extending this courtesy as I am an individual contributor so ratings are quite important , and take care!