How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalGems Your Own Question
LegalGems, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 10043
Experience:  Experienced Family Law Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LegalGems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was granted Spousal support after my divorce and

Customer Question

I was granted Spousal support for life after my divorce and it was so overwhelming every month that I decided to settle with my ex husband on a lump sum that he gave me as long as he continued to support our children through his education. Well he continues to stress me out regarding any little thing... My question is since I did canc my spousal support is there a way to reinstate it since I am in such hardship but didn't want to go through the emotional rollercoaster with him? Thank you for your time.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 2 years ago.
Good Day! I'll do my best to assist you. Please remember: I only provide general information and a local attorney should always be consulted.
Thanks for your patience as I looked into this for you.
It depends on the terms of the decree; spousal support is modifiable if the decree reserves jurisdiction over that issue.
If a party accepts a lump sum, then generally the court will terminate its jurisdiction so that it cannot award future spousal support.
However, if jurisdiction is reserved, and there is a change in circumstances, then the court does have jurisdiction to modify/terminate spousal support; but if the judge determines that the lump sum settlement was fair, then then it would make the judge less likely to award ongoing support.
If you have further questions please be sure and respond before rating. If you have no further questions, Kindly rate positively so that the site is permitted to credit my account for assisting you- there is no additional charge for a positive rating and it is most appreciated.
Without a positive rating, I receive no compensation for assisting you this evening.
Thank you and take care!
Expert:  LegalGems replied 2 years ago.
Here is a link to help locate an attorney: and Of course, should you have other questions please do not hesitate to post here. If you found the information I provided useful, kindly rate positive as that is the only way the site is allowed to credit me so that I am compensated for the time I spent- which does not result in additional charges to the customer. Thank you for extending this courtesy as I am an individual contributor so ratings are quite important , and take care!