Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
10707909

My ex-wife's lawyer has delayed the execution of a QDRO over

Customer Question

My ex-wife's lawyer has delayed the execution of a QDRO over 28 months by getting involved in the process when a third-party lawyer was identified in the separation agreement. She has lied on a number of occasions why it has been delayed. I want to file a complaint against her with CT bar association, but only if I know she will be punished for her actions. If it is a waste of time why bother. She gives all lawyers a bad name, and deals in misery of others. The stress I have felt about this matter resulted in me having bypass surgery. I would like her to be held accountable.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.
Hello
This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard
I suggest no guarantees can be made on how or whether the Bar will discipline the attorney. It is all going to depend on the facts and the evidence you provide in your complaint.
However, it is unethical for an attorney to not "play fair" with the other party and deliberate lies may be deemed unethical.
RULE 4.1 TRUTHFULNESS IN STATEMENTS TO OTHERS
In the course of representing a client a lawyer shall not knowingly:
(1) Make a false statement of material fact or law to a third person; or
(2) Fail to disclose a material fact when disclosure is necessary to avoid assisting a criminal or fraudulent act by a client, unless disclosure is prohibited by Rule 1.6.