LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
15277592

I and my husband has put in a petition to adopt a 10 month

Customer Question

I and my husband has put in a petition to adopt a 10 month old baby girl. Her mother signed over her rights in Feb 2015, we found out later that the mother had signed up for child support. She wrote a letter to DHS and said she wanted to drop the case, she did not know who the father was and the baby has been living with us. The person thought to be the father denided the bay at birth, but was order by the court for child support. Dhs attorney refuse to drop the case, the mother lives in another county now. Dhs wants a dna for the person they think may be the father. What can we do to make them leave our family along
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 years ago.
Good afternoon,
I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
DHS will leave the father alone as soon as you adopt. In fact, if he is the father, the support will stop on the adoption.
Get the potential father to take the DNA test and then to give his permission for you to adopt. This guy is not going to want the baby---as he has been denying it since birth and if he is a low life as you suggest, he can't possibly gain anything by asking for custody.
When you adopt, the court will end any support that he is ordered to pay---that is what he will want.
That is the only scenario that the court will allow, and then you can move forward with the adoption.
You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.
Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you.
I wish you and yours the best in 2015,
Doug