How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ScottyMacEsq Your Own Question
ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 16370
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
ScottyMacEsq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Developmentally disabled ship - Established in TN court, now

Customer Question

Developmentally disabled ship - Established in TN court, now needing to be transferred into effect in Florida.
Question: How do I determine if this is "Guardian Advocacy" or "Guardianship" my daughter has been developmentally disabled since birth & is registered disabled.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. The best option would be a guardian advocacy if you're establishing a new one, but so long as the foreign decree ("foreign" here meaning another state, not another country) is registered within 60 days of the ward's move, then Florida should give "full faith and credit" to the move. If the ward moves to Florida, the out-of-state guardian should notify the Florida court in the county of the ward’s residence. Under §744.306, the guardian has 60 days from the change of residence to file an authenticated copy of the guardianship order. If this is done, the court must give “full faith and credit” to the order. Now if you've informed the clerk that you want to transfer from an out-of-state order and file the authenticated order with the clerk, that should suffice. You should not have to file a separate guardian action (either guardian advocacy or full guardianship). But if, for whatever reason, you should need to file a new action, it would be best to file for guardian advocacy, as this has all the powers of full guardianship, but fewer requirements and formalities. Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 2 years ago.
Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 2 years ago.
Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions)