Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My daughter who is now 25 years old told me that she was

Customer Question
My daughter who is...
My daughter who is now 25 years old told me that she was molested by her 13-year-old cousin. Repeatedly. What kind of action can I take for this
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Is it to late to do something
7/13/2015
Family Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.
I apologize, but legal experts are not able to call you. Live phone calls in the legal categories, unlike in other sections of JustAnswer, are considered the practice of law, which is forbidden by state laws. However, I'm happy to provide answers to your questions here.
The statute of limitations in California for child sexual abuse is unfortunately when the victim turns 25 years old. Cal. Code Civ. P., Section 340.1. The statute may be extended if your daughter has psychological issues that she has only recently realized were related to that abuse. In that case, she has 3 years from the date she discovered the psychological, but is completely cut off from filing suit on her 26th birthday.
The criminal statute of limitations is longer. The district attorney can press criminal charges at any time up until your daughter's 40th birthday. So she can still report the incident to police and ask them to investigate.
It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Thank you.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer