How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 37365
Experience:  Attorney with 16 years experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

There was a disagreement between my son and his wife which

Customer Question

There was a disagreement between my son and his wife which resulted in my husband and myself moving out of my sons home. They are now not allowing us to see or have any contact with our grandsons. They reside in Georgia and we are now residing in Florida. What are my rights, as a grandparent, to gain visitation rights?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
If the children are in Georgia, then Georgia law gives grandparents the right to as a court for visitation under certain conditions.
One of these conditions is that the parents must have separated as grandparents can't seek visitation with a grandchild who lives with both parents as the presumption is that the intact parental unit has the right to determine any type of interaction with other family members.
So if the father and mother are still together, then unfortunately, you wouldn't be able to get a judge in GA to allow visitation if the parents objected.
I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...