How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 29823
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex wife wants me to give up my rights to my 7 year old

Customer Question

my ex wife wants me to give up my rights to my 7 year old son and have her new husband become his adopted father. Is there a way to do this without going to court? I live in florida and my ex and her husband live in NY. At the time of custody over my son back in 2012 my ex wife did not want me to giver any child support to her and the court accepted that. I only get to see my son 2 month during the summer and my ex gets him for 10 month over the year. Now my son wants so only be with his mom.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today.
If you agree to the adoption, you will not have to go to court. You can simply sign all the paperwork, and the mother will file it. The judge sometimes schedules a hearing, but you only have to go if you are disputing the termination and adoption. Otherwise, she can go without you and the judge will rubber stamp everything.
Make sure to read any and all paperwork she sends you carefully before you sign it. You do have a right to ask an independent attorney read first. But it should be fairly straightforward.
You would have to go to court if you disagree with the adoption and do not want to give up your rights. (I read your question to mean that you agree, so I apologize if that is not correct.)
It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Thank you.

Related Family Law Questions