How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

It has been 7 months since the divorce was made finial. My

Customer Question

It has been 7 months since the divorce was made finial. My ex's has refused to pick up as agreed their personal items or exchange signed deed and title to my vehicale before the judge Jan 30, 2015. Last atempt to compile with terms of the final decree was made in March to have the remainder of personal items to be removed from the marital home which was awarded to me plus exchange documents. What is a reasonable length of time to wait and wh en is it considered abandoned by the ex-spouse?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.
HelloThis is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regardI do not find where Missouri law specifies a "reasonable" time in this regard. Have you notified them by letter to get them or forfeit?I suggest, if you have not done that you begin with such a letter. Simpy say NOTICE - you have one week from the receipt of this letter to retrieve your personal property, as per the court order dated whatever it is. If you do not retrieve the property, it will be considered forfeited and in that regard I will dispose of it as I deem appropriate and/or begin charging you storage fees. And then mail that letter certified with a return receipt requested. That way if he does not get off his duff and contact you and you dispose of his property and he takes you to court, you can show the court that you tried and tried to get him to comply.
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.
I also suggest you can send a separate letter about any terms he has not complied with and state that if he does not do it within 7 days of receipt of the letter you will have no other option but to file contempt and you will request the judge order them to pay your legal costs associated.
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.
Again, mail that certified with a RRR. Please note that I can only provide information for what you ask. In that regard, if you have other questions or need clarification, please let me know here. Otherwise, I would appreciate a Positive Rating as that is how I get credit for my time.​Thank you