How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 37639
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I filed 5 years ago, but never served any papers

Customer Question

I filed for divorce 5 years ago, but never served any papers so the court case never occurred. Is there a way to remove this filing from the public record?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 years ago.
Good afternoon,
I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. Thanks for asking for me.
I'm afraid that it is very difficult to have a case that is qualified for public disclosure---like a suit for divorce is---sealed by the court. There would have to be some exigent circumstance or very special need---other than simply a desire for privacy.
In the event of this very rare circumstance, you would have to file a Motion to Seal the file and provide justification---again, this can be a difficult hurdle to get over in terms of justifying the need to seal the file.
I believe you are in Michigan. Here is a link to the requirements to get a case sealed in MI. Please refer to section F:
You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.
Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you.
I wish you and yours the best in 2015,

Related Family Law Questions