How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 117401
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We both are foreigners traveling in San Francisco. We plan

Customer Question

Hi, we both are foreigners traveling in San Francisco. We plan to marry here. Appreciate your advice as how to proceed. Thanks
KF Yau
Submitted: 2 years ago via USmarriagelaws.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
What do you mean about how to proceed? It is a fairly simple process, but we want to make sure what you want to know so we can specifically direct our information to that.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Very simple question. We both are non-US citizen and would like to get marriage in San Francisco.
Few questions
1) could we be allowed to get marriage in San Francisco?
2) shall we go to the court to register the marriage?
3) if so, what is the procedure to complete the whole marriage procedures.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your questions in your reply.
You do not need to be US Citizens to get married in San Francisco. You may obtain a license for marriage at the county clerk's office. Once you obtain the marriage license from the clerk, you can make an appointment to get married by a marriage commissioner OR you can have a religious or other ceremony and file the license signed by the officiant back with the clerk.
Here is the San Francisco site for marriage licenses, with addresses and information. You will need to bring in your passports and identification to apply for the license to marry.

Related Family Law Questions