How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Gerald-Esquire Your Own Question
Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 3915
Experience:  30 years of experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Gerald-Esquire is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

NYS My daugter is 19 years old and lives with me mostly (I

Customer Question

NYS My daugter is 19 years old and lives with me mostly (I am dad) and with mom some times. Neither of us help with support. We are divorcing and wonder what child support will entail. I sign her FAFSA and the Parent Plus Loans. she is starting year 2 of 2 year RN program. I am happy to pay her tuition at the private school and the loans. I earn more than my ex wife to be. She earns about 34k and I earn 70k. I do not get help from her when my daughter is with me (about 85% of the time with me).
She floats between us spending the majority with me as I have the marital house as my wife moved out months ago. Will I be responsible for child support and college expense?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am awaiting a lawyer!
Expert:  Gerald-Esquire replied 2 years ago.
Hello,Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.Historically, the obligation to pay child support ends when the child reaches the age of majority. However, a growing number of states (Alabama, Connecticut, the District of Columbia, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Dakota, Oregon, South Carolina, Utah and Washington) have enacted laws that can require a noncustodial parent to pay a child’s college expenses, as part of the parent’s “child support” obligation. in New York, child support must be paid until the child reaches the age of 21 if the child attending college full time. Normally, the amount of support paid is calculated by a formula. But in the situation that you describe, it would be resolved through a settlement agreement. This is because the of the split living arrangements and because you are already providing for her college support. Additionally, because your daughter is of age,you would be providing support directly to her, and not to your ex. Or in your case, your ex will likely have to pay some support since your daughter is with you the majority of the time.To give you an idea of the amounts, this link will provide you access to a support calculator. But that will just give you a rough idea. The tuition payments count toward the over all support. hope the information I have provided is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday. Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.Good luck. Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.