How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27170
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What are my rights if my ex husband failed to make divorce

Customer Question

What are my rights if my ex husband failed to make divorce settlement payment
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 2 years ago.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.
Good evening. Just to be clear, he was court ordered to pay you X amount by a specific date?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes he was May 2015
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. His failure to pay would be a violation of the court order. As such, you would want to bring in back in front of the Judge and have him explain why he failed to pay as ordered and ask the Judge to step in and compel him to do so. For this to happen, a motion for contempt of court would need to be filed. The clerk of court in the family division likely has the form for you to fill out and file. In the body of the mother, a party wants to advise the Judge that they settlement payment was X and it was owed on Y. To date it has yet to be paid and efforts to get paid have failed. The Judge can then compel him to pay and impose fines or even jail, if he intentionally refuses to do so. Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 2 years ago.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!