Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My daughter is pregnant with a child not her husbands. Does

Customer Question
the real father have any...
My daughter is pregnant with a child not her husbands. Does the real father have any obligation to help support the child?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
7/9/2015
Family Lawyer: Samuel II, Attorney at Law replied 2 years ago
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Hello
This Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard
Under the law, there is a presumption of paternity to the husband when the Mother is married.
There is no automatic obligation to help support the child. If she wants that, she will need to file for a paternity test and have the court order the alleged Father give his DNA and then she would need to sue him for a financial obligation to the child.
The problem is going to be in getting the court to order the DNA Testing. She will need more than just her word that someone else is the biological Father of the child.
The law in Florida is that a child born or conceived during a lawful marriage is a legitimate child of the mother and the man to whom she is married.
Please note that I can only provide information for what you ask. In that regard, if you have other questions or need clarification, please let me know here. Otherwise, I would appreciate a Positive Rating as that is how I get credit for my time.
​Thank you
Samuel II
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law