How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalGems Your Own Question
LegalGems, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 10484
Experience:  Experienced Family Law Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LegalGems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If my daughters dad and i have shared legal custody with visitations and there was an accu

Customer Question

if my daughters dad and i have shared legal custody with visitations and there was an accusation from my child made to her therapist and children and youth services were contacted, can I go back to the judge to get the order modified?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 2 years ago.
Good Day! I'll do my best to assist you. Please remember: I only provide general information and a local attorney should always be consulted. A few minutes please as I look into this for you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
okay thank you
Expert:  LegalGems replied 2 years ago.
OK; thanks for your patience.
So a parent can bring a request for modification whenever there is a change of circumstances; a change of circumstances can be age alone (as a child's needs changes based on age), a change in a parent's home/lifestyle, the child's attitude towards a parent, the introduction of a third party to the family, etc.
If there are allegations of abuse/neglect, the court can take those into consideration in order to modify custody. The idea is to take into account the child's best interests, which gives the judge great discretion, but the judge will consider several factors.
Some therapists will make a therapist's recommendation to the court, advising the court as to their professional opinion as to what custody arrangement is in the child's best interest (it depends on the therapist's willingness to do this).
But ultimately the judge will want to ensure that the child is in a safe and nurturing environment, with ongoing and continuous relations with both parents (when this is safe for the child).
forms can be located here for modification requests:
Expert:  LegalGems replied 2 years ago. - additional forms here.
If you have further questions please be sure and respond before rating. If you have no further questions, Kindly rate positively so that the site is permitted to credit my account for assisting you- there is no additional charge for a positive rating and it is most appreciated.
Without a positive rating, I receive no compensation for assisting you this evening.
Thank you and take care!
Expert:  LegalGems replied 2 years ago.
Here is a link to help locate an attorney: and
Of course, should you have other questions please do not hesitate to post here.
If you found the information I provided useful, kindly rate positive as that is the only way the site is allowed to credit me so that I am compensated for the time I spent- which does not result in additional charges to the customer.
Thank you for extending this courtesy as I am an individual contributor so ratings are quite important , and take care!