How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34517
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If a child turns 18 and is disabled how do you file for legal

Customer Question

If a child turns 18 and is disabled how do you file for legal guardianship of him I am his mother. I was told by ss that this was what I would have to do to become his payee. He is non verbal and austitic.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 2 years ago.
Hi, My name is Philip. I am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.
Adult guardianship must be ordered by the court. A court can order an adult be made a "ward" of the court if they require the care and assistance of another in their daily living activities.
The process is not would file a motion with the court (the court where the child lives) and ask the court to order that the child be made a ward and appoint you as guardian.
So this is possible.
But you will want to use a lawyer
A motion is a formal legal request. You have to follow the rules of procedure and evidence when presenting evidence to the court. The adage "a man who represents himself has a fool for a client" is often true. If you act as your own lawyer, the court will expect you to know the law/rules/procedure/evidence just as if you were admitted to the bar. They (the court) will not cut you any slack. So having a local attorney help you prepare and present this to the court will ensure that the process goes smoothly.
Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Related Family Law Questions