Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

Can I marry someone with an ordination from Christian National

Customer Question

Can I marry someone with an ordination from Christian National Church?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 2 years ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist. Sec. 2.202 of the TEXAS FAMILY CODE entitled "PERSONS AUTHORIZED TO CONDUCT CEREMONY" says: (a) The following persons are authorized to conduct a marriage ceremony:(1) a licensed or ordained Christian minister or priest;(2) a Jewish rabbi;(3) a person who is an officer of a religious organization and who is authorized by the organization to conduct a marriage ceremony;(4) a justice of the supreme court, judge of the court of criminal appeals, justice of the courts of appeals, judge of the district, county, and probate courts, judge of the county courts at law, judge of the courts of domestic relations, judge of the juvenile courts, retired justice or judge of those courts, justice of the peace, retired justice of the peace, judge of a municipal court, retired judge of a municipal court, or judge or magistrate of a federal court of this state; and(5) a retired judge or magistrate of a federal court of this state.(b) For the purposes of Subsection (a)(4), a retired judge or justice is a former judge or justice who is vested in the Judicial Retirement System of Texas Plan One or the Judicial Retirement System of Texas Plan Two or who has an aggregate of at least 12 years of service as judge or justice of any type listed in Subsection (a)(4).(b-1) For the purposes of Subsection (a)(5), a retired judge or magistrate is a former judge or magistrate of a federal court of this state who is fully vested in the Federal Employees Retirement System under 28 U.S.C. Section 371 or 377.(c) Except as provided by Subsection (d), a person commits an offense if the person knowingly conducts a marriage ceremony without authorization under this section. An offense under this subsection is a Class A misdemeanor.(d) A person commits an offense if the person knowingly conducts a marriage ceremony of a minor whose marriage is prohibited by law or of a person who by marrying commits an offense under Section 25.01, Penal Code. An offense under this subsection is a felony of the third degree.
Expert:  Roger replied 2 years ago.
The law doesn't require that the minister receive a license from a certain church and there's no requirement that the minister have a congregation (as in some states)......so if you obtain an ordained minister license online, it should be recognized and you should have authority to officiate a wedding.
Expert:  Roger replied 2 years ago.
Also, most online license agencies will tell you whether or not their license is accepted in your state.....and you can also call the court clerk for the county where the wedding is going to be performed and verify that your license will be accepted.....but with the very broad terms of the statute, any license ordaining you as a Christian priest or minister should suffice.