How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11806
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex is filing bankruptcy and requesting a modification

Customer Question

Hi, my ex is filing bankruptcy and requesting a modification in child support.Historically, I was a stay at home parent. I do work but do not have the earing potential he does. Will I have to pay him? How will all this work out?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  originallawyer replied 2 years ago.
Good evening:
Is he also requesting a change in child custody? Why are you concerned that you would have to pay him? This additional info will help me better answer your question.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Because he is filing to reduce to 0 since he doesn't have a job. ( also threatening to sue me for supposed since I do have one )
Expert:  originallawyer replied 2 years ago.
What is the current division of parenting time? Is he asking you for spousal support or alimony? He cannot get retroactive alimony. That would have been something he would have needed to ask for at the time of divorce. Now that the marriage is over, he cannot get spousal support. He might be able to have his support reduced, but it is highly unlikely that it would be completely zeroed out.