How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 29823
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I raised my grandson totally from infancy. He is married

Customer Question

Hello, I raised my grandson totally from infancy. He is married and his wife won't let me see their son.Bryden is two and I had him every weekend the first eighteen months of his life.All I asked was for once a month , because she stopped working on weekends and won't allow me to see him at all.Sinc I raised the child's father can I get one day a onto visitation.?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm very sorry to hear about your situation.
Pennsylvania law unfortunately does not allow a great-grandparent to sue for custody when the parents are married and raising the child together. The only exception is if the child had lived with you full-time for at least a year before they stopped the visits. The way to get access to see your great-grandchild is to talk to your grandson, or see if there is any way to work things out with his wife. There is no loophole in the law because you raised the father - there is a public policy that gives parents rights to their children over all others.
In the event that your grandson and his wife one day divorce, then you'd have standing to seek visitation with your great-grandson. However, in that scenario, it's possible that your grandson would let you see him, and you may not have to go to court.
I apologize that this was probably not the Answer you were hoping to receive. However, it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.
Good luck.

Related Family Law Questions