FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
9540344

My ex has relocated to another state and our son is a high school senior. He wants to stay

Customer Question

My ex has relocated to another state and our son is a high school senior. He wants to stay with me so he can graduate with his class. I have filed for custody and ceasing of support deductions and have a court date. Does she have to appear if she has our agreement to transfer custody letter notorized from her new state of residence, and returned to me for me to present to the judge?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 2 years ago.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.
Good afternoon. Just to be clear, the mother is in agreement with this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes
Thank you for the additional information. If she is not objecting to the motion, then she would not likely have to appear. If anything, she can request to appear by phone, to share with the Judge that there is no objection. If she has responded and filed an answer or the letter is signed and notarized, then it should not be a problem. Since there is no objection and she agrees and has relocated and your son is with you and can be present in court as well, there would be no reason for the mother to appear, since she agrees to this.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Never mind on the phone conversation
Not a problem. We can converse with the chat, as needed.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
One more question. My current lease expires August 31, 2015. To remain in this apartment I had to enter into an extension of that original lease with the new expiration on August 31, 2016, which I was suppose to have done by the close of June 20th. I turned it in on June 29. Two days later, my son advised me of his decision. Am I bound by the extension, even though my original expiration date was 8/15? My desire was to move into one of my rental agencies other apartments in the town where my son will be attending high school. They won't let me out of the extended lease. What can I do?
So they accepted and had no objection to the lease extension being turned in on the 29th?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes.
It will be binding them. The reason why I say this is because even though there was a deadline, based upon you presenting it to them and them accepting it, there would be an agreement based upon the actions and conduct of the parties, to renew the lease, even though the deadline had passed. If the situation was different and your son did not stay, you would want them to honor the lease, so it works the same way now. However, if they have other properties, you can see if they would allow you to rent one of those and possible pay a fee to transfer the lease agreement.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They do have other apartments available, but they refuse to allow the transfer.
If that is the case, then you likely want to try and find someone to sublease from you, if that is allowed under the lease agreement. It would allow you to vacate and then rent another place.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok. Thanks for your help. For the $47 to what am I entitled? More legal questions, and if so how many, and for how long a period of time?
Did you sign up for a subscription?
Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't think so. I paid $47 for the answer, with a free trial offer. I hope that doesn't mean that I signed up for a subscription. I only needed those questions answered. That's why I was wondering what fee entitled me to.
If that is all you needed, then I kindly ask that you rate my help, so the site will give me credit for me time and answers. You can also contact customer service, to confirm what you signed up for and they will be able to assist as well.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Where do I go to rate you?
There should be a pop up box or a link to click to say we are finished.
Good morning. Just wanted to see if you were able to find the rating box?