How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34497
Experience:  30 plus years of experience.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

NJ Wife father divorced her mother 39 yaers ago Son in law

Customer Question

NJ Wife father divorced her mother 39 yaers ago
Son in law moved into Mother in laws house, she was broke
Over 39 years raised three children and paid three colloge tuitions.
Mother in law dies an leaves house to my wife and the sister in law.
over 39 years I doubled the size of the house.
Kept mother in law fed and clothed and sheltered.
Does the son in law have any ownership in the house.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Loren replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I will do whatever I can to answer your question.
Before I answer a bit more detail would be helpful.
Was there any agreement in writing that the house would go to the son in law in exchange for taking care of the mother in law and working on the house?
Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no written agreement
Expert:  Loren replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information.
Without a written agreement there is no right to the house conferred by living there and taking care of the owner. The house would pass to whomever it was left to in the will lawfully admitted to probate.
I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not necessarily a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.
Best regards.
Expert:  Loren replied 2 years ago.
Did you have further questions? Have i answered your question?