How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask originallawyer Your Own Question
originallawyer, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 879
Experience:  9+ years of experience in divorce, custody battles and mediation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
originallawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

On behalf of 64 yr old male with possible alcohol and co-occurring

Customer Question

on behalf of 64 yr old male with possible alcohol and co-occurring (borderline personality disorder) and other health issues; unemployed and basically broke and without resources; victim of certain verbal and sometimes physical abuse by spouse (female); where can he seek legal advice to help him establish community property questions and other matters in anticipation of imminent legal separation leading to divorce? The man is somewhat impaired in his judgment due to all of above. Thank you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  originallawyer replied 2 years ago.
Depending on his state of residence, most states have legal help clinics or legal aid organizations that can help with this if there isn't too much property involved. Law schools usually have clinics for low income clients as well, so it'd be worth doing some research in his area. They look at income so if he has none, he should qualify.
I don't know if he's a veteran, but that's another option as many states have legal help for veterans. Texas for instance has a fairly robust program for veterans that matches them up with a pro bono volunteer attorney.