Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

As a Non-Custodial Parent, I have found out that the

Customer Question
Custodial Parent has been doing...
As a Non-Custodial Parent, I have found out that the Custodial Parent has been doing things that blatantly contradict the Parenting Plan and general court-recommended actions (i.e. bad-mouthing non-custodial parent, telling children to call father's girlfriend
"mom", while telling the 3 & 5 year old children that their "old" mommy is too sick to be their mommy anymore). My question is whether it is best to wait and address these and many other issues in the bext court date, or ask for an Emergency Hearing?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
7/7/2015
Family Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this is happening.
An Emergency Hearing is something that is usually only allowed when the child is in immediate danger, either physically or emotionally. The judge may not allow an emergency hearing in this situation. But if you don't have a court date coming up soon, you can file a Motion for Contempt of Court and request a regular hearing within the next couple of weeks.
Note that if you want to discuss these problems at the next regular hearing, a written motion would still be filed first to put the judge on notice that you want to talk about it. That also gives the other parent notice, which he's entitled to under due process.
It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Thank you.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer