How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 102311
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am from Chile and I am travelling with my fiance to

Customer Question

Hello I am from Chile and I am travelling with my fiance to new York city. Can I get married there . I checked that I need my passport. How long does it take the process?
Submitted: 2 years ago via USmarriagelaws.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) the site allows experts not participate in phone calls and I may or may not be able to participate in this feature.
Yes, you can get married in NYC.
A marriage license is valid for 60 days from issuance in NYC.
There is a 24 hour waiting period after you and your prospective spouse obtain your license is required by New York State Law. After this, one can get married via a Judge or a religious party (and a few other persons) fairly quickly.
If you were married before, you must list all prior marriages. You must include your previous spouse's full name; the date the divorce decree was granted; and the city, state, and country where the divorce was issued. If the clerk believes you may still be married, they will ask for proof of the divorce at their discretion.
Otherwise, it is fairly quickly. Your immigration status does not matter.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What hppened if one of them is still married in chile. There is any way that they could have record in USA?
Expert:  Ely replied 2 years ago.
1) No, NY is not going to have that record.
2) However, the marriage would then be void ab initio, meaning "void at inception" and invalid in USA - if one of the parties is still married, that is - provided a Court ever finds out.
3) This could become problematic if one of the parties is a US Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident and wishes to sponsor the other party for a US greencard. If so, then proof of divorce from CHILE would be needed for USCIS (the immigration authority) and once they catch that the marriage in NY was performed while the marriage in Chile was still valid, then the sponsorship would not be granted.
Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.
Gentle Reminder: Please, use the REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or rate positively and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.

Related Family Law Questions