How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalGems Your Own Question
LegalGems, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 10484
Experience:  Experienced Family Law Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LegalGems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Ok i got divorced, i pay child support on 4 kids, my ex wife

Customer Question

i got divorced, i pay child support on 4 kids, my ex wife kicked out the 19 year old , my lawyers told me i had to pay support until the kids were 21, do i have to keep paying her his share now he lives with me . ?
and second question is can she legally kick him out
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 2 years ago.
Good Day! I'll do my best to assist you. Please remember: I only provide general information and a local attorney should always be consulted.
The age of emancipation in NY is 21; this means that the child support order will be entered and valid until the child is age 21.
However, if a child is self supporting, in the military or married, they are considered emancipated; additionally, if a child moves out and refuses to obey parents' reasonable instructions, the court can find them emancipated.
A court order is effective until modified - so if circumstances change, the party owing the support would petition the court for a modification (based on change in circumstances).
Do it Yourself forms located here:
The law which allows for modification of child support based on change of circumstances is located here: and also at page 10 here:
If you have further questions please be sure and respond before rating. If you have no further questions, Kindly rate positively so that the site is permitted to credit my account for assisting you- there is no additional charge for a positive rating and it is most appreciated.
Without a positive rating, I receive no compensation for assisting you this evening.
Thank you and take care!
Expert:  LegalGems replied 2 years ago.
Here is a link to help locate an attorney: and
Of course, should you have other questions please do not hesitate to post here.
If you found the information I provided useful, kindly rate positive as that is the only way the site is allowed to credit me so that I am compensated for the time I spent- which does not result in additional charges to the customer.
Thank you for extending this courtesy as I am an individual contributor so ratings are quite important , and take care!