Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Thinking of marrying a women from Panama but concerned if we

Customer Question
have a baby, and were...
thinking of marrying a women from Panama but concerned if we have a baby, and were to divorce would she be able to take the baby with her if she wanted to go back, and if I marry her in Panama, or in the USA would make a difference?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
7/6/2015
Family Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 2 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law
Hello and thank you for requesting me. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) the site allows experts not participate in phone calls and I may or may not be able to participate in this feature.
Where would you be living - in the USA? If so, what which state?
This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
Florida
Thank you.
if I marry her in Panama, or in the USA would make a difference?
If you eventually plan to live in USA, then it makes no difference where the marriage takes place.
f we have a baby, and were to divorce would she be able to take the baby with her if she wanted to go back
Without custody orders place, then possibly yes. Even though doing so may be considered kidnapping under Fla. Stat. Ann. § 787.03,she may still try to flee to Panama with the children.
If there is a possible divorce or separation, one wants to immediately then file for temporary orders for custody while the matter is pending, asking the Court to temporarily assign custody to someone in your position, or to at least order her not to take the children out of state/county/etc, without a bond, or at all.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.
Ely, Counselor at Law