How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 31733
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

The court ordered that I must pay $1000 child support for

Customer Question

Hi, The court ordered that I must pay $1000 child support for my daughter. I gave my ex instead $1500 . She and my daugher lives in Portland, OR and my wife , my son (with my current wife ) and I live in California. The court document never indicated that I have to buy a car for my child , however we did . The best and safest we could afford . We pay for her ALL her expenses otherwise too. Medical , car insurance, dental, spending, and on every visit with us in CA or we with her in OR (monthly) my wife will make sure that she has all she needs regarding toiletries , clothing and even trips to hair salon for hair cuts etc. My daughter wants to study journalism and so my wife and I set out to find her the BEST journalist school. My wife and her toured a few schools and decided on Missouri . I unfortunately could not do the tours as I had to work. We want her to get her education without having to deal with $160 000 in student loans. She is turning 18 in August , so I mention to her mom, that now that my daughter is moving out of the house and will be living in Missouri for the next four years as from Aug 24 ( also my daughter's birthdate) we will no longer sent her checks after Aug 31 for child support as Tan (my daughter) will be 18 and we will pay for all her cost at college . My ex just sent me a message saying she just moved into a new appartment and will hold us to the court document for child support until Tan turns 21. We explained that we can NOT afford to pay for Tans college AND ALL her expences AND then still have to pay my ex's rent for a place where my daughter will not live in again ? ! What can we do about this? Can she insist on it? Or can my daughter then just say , in that case i now make my 'home address' California with us and then we won't have to pay her mohters rent too? Ps. We had NO alimony agreement.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 2 years ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.Was child support established by a court in Oregon?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes. Oregon court.
Expert:  Roger replied 2 years ago.
Ok. Thanks. You are only required to pay what the court order says.....for as long as it requires. Thus, unless the order requires you to pay more than the child support amount, you should be under no obligation to pay these extra expenses.
Expert:  Roger replied 2 years ago.
So, the court shouldn't require you to cover anything more than what the child support order requires.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The Oregon court document states ; Support payments will commence on (date) and continue until child (Tana) turns 18 and there after until Tana turns 21 years of age if the Oregon Law requires payments of support for a "Child attending school".We were ordered to pay the mother $1000 per month in child support but instead gave her $1500 because of DECENCY. We are also intending to pay for Tana's FULL four year education at University of Missouri ($160 000) and all Tana's living, medical, car insurance (which we also bought the car for her) , gas money and other insidentals. HOWEVER< "THE" MUDDER , is now also try to force us to still have to pay $1000 per month too so she can pay for her apartment while we are paying for all the SIGNIFICANTLY large cost of Tana's education ! When tried to scare her with a threat saying that okay , we will then only pay $1000 per month to HER and it would mean that Tana won't be going to Mizzou. Her reply was 'so be it' . Clearly she (who has not held ANY job for long period of time or for no longer then 3 months at a time) had ONLY her 'apartment -rent' as a priority and not my daughter's future. SADLY my daughter feels sorry for her and RESPONSIBLE for her?!?!?? It is TOUGH hiding it to my daughter what disrespect I have for her mother. But I am.
Expert:  Roger replied 2 years ago.
I understand what you are trying to do, and the fact that you've made such a effort is commendable.....and apparently not appreciated by the mother. You certainly could inform the mother that you are paying the $1000 in the money that you're giving PLUS all of these other payments you're making that you're not required to. If the mother pushes too hard, you may decide to make the minimum required payment......which would likely make it impossible for her to afford any of this......I know that ultimately harms the child, but it may be something good to tell the mother to keep her and these demands at bay.Also, you may want to issue a check for $1000/month and stub it as being for child support so there is no question that you met this obligation.....which would prevent her from being able to sue and claim that you owe back child support.