How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 117370
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im a american, at the last minute my wife in the philippines

Customer Question

Im a american, at the last minute my wife in the philippines decided not to accept visa for life in america she stayed in the philippines,with my child, she has never work and wnts to go back to simpke life on a iska d where terrible storms happen, how does child support in thiscase work?ill never get to see him again maybe,there will be no contact since no internet there,i left her the house to sell, am i obligated at this point?even if we are not devorced?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only
I am afraid that legally, your obligation to pay child support would be until the child is 18, but realistically, while you do have an obligation to provide for your child if there are no court orders to make you do so and if she has no real access to the courts, then nobody will be coming after you for any support.
I am not going to get into your moral duty to support your child. Legally, you have an obligation to pay to support your wife and your child, but because of this situation with her in the Philippines, without a court order if you do not pay nobody is coming after you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well shes not asking for divorce, but it doesnt seem fair too the father to have their child ripped away from them, never to probably see again and them expected to pay child support, its like that was their intentions from the start, fo money coming in, if she does find court access
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I also was just let go from work amd am in school its a school that doesnt take long to get thru soon after il go back to work, hopefuly out of country again
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your reply.
Legally, the law says whether you see the child or not you are expected to provide for the child and as long as you are still married you are expected to provide for your spouse.
However, without a court order they cannot force you to pay for either and the chances of them getting one of those sounds pretty slim.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My morals are at a all time high, i will do for them what i can when i can,especialy after im back on my feet again, which will be soon, how if wanted can i get a divorce from the states while shes there? So i can remarry if i want to?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your reply.
As you know, the Philippines does not have divorce, so you would have to file in the US and would have to get someone to serve her in the Philippines personally with the suit for divorce. If she does not appear in court once served the court will grant a divorce by default.