Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

If im married 6 years how long will i have to pay allimony…

Customer Question
if im married 6 years...
if im married 6 years how long will i have to pay allimony for
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
7/3/2015
Family Lawyer: FamilyAnswer, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. There is no exact way to know how long you would have to pay for, as a result of being married for 6 years. I say this because the New Jersey Alimony statute contains thirteen factors that Courts use in determining the amount and duration of alimony:The actual need of one party and ability of the other party to pay.The length of the marriage or civil union.The ages of the parties and their emotional and physical health.The parties’ standard of living established during the marriage or civil union and whether each party can maintain a reasonably comparable standard of living.Each parties’ earning ability, educational levels, occupational skills and employability.The length of absence from the job market of the party seeking maintenance.A parties’ parental responsibilities.The time and cost needed to acquire enough education or training to enable the party seeking support to find suitable employment, the availability of the training and employment, and the prospect for future attainment of capital assets and income.The record of financial and non-financial contributions to the marriage by both parties including contributions to the care and education of the children and disruption of individual careers or educational opportunities.The equitable distribution of marital property.Any investment income available to either party from any assets held by them.The tax treatment of alimony award.Any other factor the Court finds relevant.Once all these are factored in, the Judge will decide the length. If your spouse has the ability to support themselves and make a living on their own, the length of time would be less then if they have no skills that would make them employable at this time.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer