Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

On June 27th my soon to be ex-husband and I filled out

Customer Question
On June 27th my soon...

On June 27th my soon to be ex-husband and I filled out divorce paperwork, including the divorce decree. We had it notarized. We made out copies and because he works out of town he took his copy with him. On July 1st I went to the courthouse and filed the paperwork, a case number ***** assigned and I was told it would go to the judge in 20 days. All of the sudden my soon to be ex has decided after speaking with his girlfriend that he wants to change some things in it and take me to court and involve lawyers. Can he legally do this or because he signed the accept and acknowledge paperwork and we both signed the affidavit and the decree of divorce does he have nothing to stand on?

The house was bought by him 2 years before we married and he never put my name on it.   In the paperwork we signed he took full responsibility of the house but is now trying to go back on that.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/3/2015
Family Lawyer: Maverick, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer
Welcome! My name is Maverick. I very much enjoy what I do and I hope that you will benefit from this information.
It appears that you are saying that the house was titled in his name and that the mortgage on the house was only in his name as well. It further appears that you are saying that this purchase took place 2 years before your marriage and that now he is trying to get you to pay part of the mortgage payments.
1. If he signed something to the effect that he would be solely responsible for the house, then the court will typically hold him to your bargained for property settlement agreement; even if the divorce decree is not yet signed off on by the court.
2. If if the court does not sign off, he still does not have a leg to stand on since the note and title to the house were in his name before marriage and are considered his separate property and separate debt.
Please remember to assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me for my time. You are free to ask follow-up questions thereafter at no charge. Please allow up to 24 hours for a follow-up response if I am signed off.
If, for some reason, you are not satisfied with the answer, I would appreciate knowing why so that I can try to clear up any misunderstanding that may have taken place and still earn a positive rating from you. If you would rather obtain a refund of your deposit, just let me know and I will inform JA on your behalf. Finally, you may request me in the future by beginning the question with "THIS IS FOR MAVERICK".
Thank you for using Just Answer.
My main question is since we have signed and filed the divorce decree and are just waiting on the judge is he able to go against what we have already filed with the courts? Is he able to get a lawyer and make the decree we have already signed and submitted obsolete?
My main question is since we have signed and filed the divorce decree and are just waiting on the judge is he able to go against what we have already filed with the courts?
1. Of course he can try to do anything; but based on what you have stated he is not likely to succeed. See my answer above.
Is he able to get a lawyer and make the decree we have already signed and submitted obsolete?
2. He can get a lawyer and try to do this; but what you have signed is an enforceable agreement even if not yet signed off on the judge. In other words the property settlement / division terms are still enforceable; while child custody and visitation terms and the granting of the divorce is still up in the air since the judge has not signed the decree.
Maverick
Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer