How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 31789
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Washington State. I have been taking care of my 13

Customer Question

I live in Washington State. I have been taking care of my 13 yr old niece for the last year. He mother lives in Texas. What would we have to do in order to get custody of her?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Would we have to go to Texas to fight is, or could we do it here in Washington?
Expert:  Roger replied 2 years ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist. In order to take legal custody of the child, you would have to file a petition for legal guardianship in the county and state of the residence of the if the child has lived with you in WA for the past year, the state of her residence should be WA (6 months is generally the time to establish residence). You would have to serve the parents in order to get this done, but you should be able to accomplish it in WA.....Of course, if the mother were to agree to the guardianship, it would be a much simple process.