How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 102142
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My boyfriend recently finalized a divorce that took over 2

Customer Question

My boyfriend recently finalized a divorce that took over 2 years, he has to pay alimony for a total of 4 years, is there anything I should be concerned about if we move in together or get married, in that, can his ex go after additional alimony based on household income?
Thank you
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) the site allows experts not participate in phone calls and I may or may not be able to participate in this feature.
Assuming he pays the alimony out without an issue, then this really should not be a problem.
If he does not, then the ex can in theory convert the alimony debt into a judgment and then attach a bank account with his name on it. If the two of you share an account and money, then your money may be attached. Likewise, she can for example lien a titled property with his name on it, even if your name is ***** ***** as well.
Ergo, some couples choose to maintain separate assets until child support/alimony is paid off.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok so if we share the same address but maintain separate accounts/assists than there is no recourse she has to go after me financially?
Expert:  Ely replied 2 years ago.
Correct. Simply sharing the same address does not make one liable. Civil judgments (if this is converted into a civil judgment) generally does not make the other spouse liable unless it is for necessities (medicine, rent, etc).
Gentle Reminder: Please, use the REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or rate positively and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.

Related Family Law Questions