How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 102506
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am going through a divorce in Los Angeles Superior Court.

Customer Question

I am going through a divorce in Los Angeles Superior Court. How can I file a complaint against the judge? How can I change the judge on my case?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) the site allows experts not participate in phone calls and I may or may not be able to participate in this feature.
I am sorry to hear about this situation. Before I go further, I want to say that filing a complaint against your Judge can result in negative consequences for the case. It is a drastic, last step in most cases. If the Judge is not asked to step down, then even though they may formally maintain neutrality, they are only human, and can without realizing be swayed by the attempt to disqualify them. This can hurt your case in the long run.
One can file a complaint against a Judge in CA with the CA Commission on Judicial Performance. See here.
One petitions to have the judge step down by filing a Motion to Recuse. You can read about this here. A sample motion may be found here.
Gentle Reminder: Please, use the REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or rate positively and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.