Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

In the state of california, when a couple is divorcing, what

Customer Question
are the laws regarding a...
in the state of california, when a couple is divorcing, what are the laws regarding a mobile home? the wife put a down payment down and got a loan for it prior to marriage and is the only one on the title. then during the marriage she continued making
all the payments herself. does he have a right to half of the net value? or is this her sole property?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
7/2/2015
Family Lawyer: LegalGems, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer
A few minutes please as I look into this for you.
Thank you for your patience.
So in California, the court, upon divorce, will characterize property as community, or separate.
Separate property is that which is acquired prior to marriage, while community property is that which is acquired during marriage (unless by gift/inheritance).
If a party has their separate property and then makes payments on the separate property with community funds (funds earned by either party during marriage), then the community has a right to reimbursement for the money that is paid towards principal. The courts have determined that the community is not entitled to reimbursement for insurance or taxes.
This explains the court's analysis:
http://scholarship.law.berkeley.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2179&context=californialawreview
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have further questions please be sure and respond before rating. If you have no further questions, Kindly rate positively so that the site is permitted to credit my account for assisting you- there is no additional charge for a positive rating and it is most appreciated.
Without a positive rating, I receive no compensation for assisting you this evening.
Thank you and take care!
Here is a link to help locate an attorney:
www.findlegalhelp.org and http://apps.americanbar.org/legalservices/findlegalhelp/home.cfm
Of course, should you have other questions please do not hesitate to post here.
If you found the information I provided useful, kindly rate positive as that is the only way the site is allowed to credit me so that I am compensated for the time I spent- which does not result in additional charges to the customer.
Thank you for extending this courtesy as I am an individual contributor so ratings are quite important , and take care!
LegalGems
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer