Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I live in New Jersey (Alimony Reform is Law), I was in a horrible…

Customer Question
I live in New Jersey...
I live in New Jersey (Alimony Reform is Law), I was in a horrible marriage for 9 years, 3 1/2 in divorce litigation, I am 67 years old, have been paying $400.00 a month Alimony since June 30, 2006, over 9 years. I am retired, on Social Security, and a pension from United Parcel Service, I wonder if I have a chance pro se, to have my Alimony ended by the Courts ?
Ed (*****@******.***)
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
7/2/2015
Family Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 2 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) the site allows experts not participate in phone calls and I may or may not be able to participate in this feature.
I am sorry to hear about this situation.
Unfortunately, this is up to the Court. There is no way to tell beforehand what the Judge will say, and cases are very subjective when it comes to alimony. Every case is different, parties are different, and the Judges are different.
I can tell you what you would have to prove. To get a modification, someone in your situation would have to show that there has been a substantial change in circumstances since the last ruling on alimony. Donnelly v. Donnelly, 963 A. 2d 855 - NJ: Appellate Div. 2009. This can mean the ex coming into money or re-marrying, or you being retired earlier than intended, or being ill.
IF SO, then the Court has the ability to modify alimony as it sees fit, or terminate it all together.
Good luck.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.
Ely, Counselor at Law